1.24.2015

Hiding






“It’s about time!” I whispered angrily.

“Sorry,” he mumbled, “And you’re sure about this?” he questioned in a equally hushed tone. He had to ask again. I knew I was sure-- I had thought about it all night, all day. I was ready. 

"Yeah," I said, looking him dead straight in the eye so he knew I was serious. It was nearly two a.m., I had never snuck out this late before, but that's not to say I never stayed up. 

"Let's go, then!" He grabbed his wooden skateboard, as I did mine, and we were off. Racing like mad people in the middle of streets, ignoring the yellow and white lines that were supposed to mark our boundaries. But we both knew that these boundaries were meant to be broken. That was the fact we'd lived our lives by. And so far, we hadn't had a concern. No reason to turn back.  

"Wait up!" I called, when he passed a red light, although I stopped in blinded obedience. 

"There's no one on the street!" he retorted, with a smirk stretching from ear to ear, "you better catch up, Ty, or we're not going to make it back in time!" he laughed. I whipped my foot backwards, sending wind pounding into my face. We did many crazy things before, laughing them off as we went-- we were (and still are) the best of friends. People mocked us; we were different. We never cared what people thought of me and him. That was the thing about us, we always knew what the other was thinking. Yes, it was crazy, but it was who we were.

"Ya, ya, watch your back, Darryl!" I shouted as the wind picked up, knocking me off balance for a second or two. "Where are we going anyways?" I asked between sharp inhales.

"You'll see." He waved his hand signaling me to come forward. "We're going uphill now, so, keep up?" he finished awkwardly, smirking. "Are ya ready? Well, I'm ready, let's go!" he smiled. I, though extremely tired, kept moving. I had made my choice, and I was going.

For a painful twenty five minutes, we skateboarded up the hill. At times, it was too steep to skate over. So we just walked. I wished I had stayed home. That's how Darryl felt too, I just knew it. We trotted along with the same word in mind-- hope. We hoped that all this hard work was worth the consequences of leaving the orphanage in dead night. We tried to escape before, but the all the security held us captive. Today was a special day; it was the first day we found ourselves free. Free from the chains of the house we lived in. My legs were just about ready to fail me when Darryl said, "Look up, Ty."

In between breathes, we set our skateboards down and started to take in the view. City lights shone from every corner, and beauty crept out from its soul. "Oh, my," I breathed, "This is,"

"Wow," he finished.

"That was worth it," I whispered to him.

"Yea, it was." Looking over the city for a while, our legs hung off the benches in the cold. We sat there a long time. When the sun started to peek out, and the city lights started to falter, we knew it was time to go. We couldn't stay anywhere forever. 


// i don't usually write short stories. after many years and years of failed attempts, i've just stopped trying. but here's a small sliver of hope for my short story career (hopefully)

16 comments:

  1. Oh, this is amazing! What an engaging and interesting short story! Please share more of your work xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Arushee! Haha, I will if I am able to write anything x

      Delete
  2. wow, I started reading and couldn't stop. That was a great story - I hope you continue it. I'll be looking forward to what you write next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaahhh, thank you, Lorraine-- that really means a lot to me.

      Delete
  3. This is a fantastic short story!! Please post more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was so good. I'd love to read more of you're stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate this, Star Girl xx

      Delete
  5. Beautiful short story! It'd be cool if this was a full length novel. :D Post more!

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my, this is nice , i couldn't help but read, the words are powerful and imaginary. i am following your blog, kindly follow back. http://melodyjacob1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Checking out your blog now! Your follow means a lot to me xx

      Delete
  7. I don't normally write short stories either. They're not really my forte, but yours is beautiful. I always love a poignant ending like this, happy, beautiful, but still with the knowledge that life can't always be like this. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile. :) Leave your link if you'd like, lovely x