12.03.2014

christmas favorites & pentatonix

christmas brings an irreplaceable joy to the heart, hot cocoa to the lips, and music to the ears-- and it just so happens that i live for the feeling that the music gives me. i love when music moves me. and christmas music does just that. 

p.s. skip to the bottom of this post for links of these carols~

in no particular order (well, maybe).


1. Christmas isn't complete without Carol Of The Bells. The descriptions of the holidays fit in so well. Don't you think? Sometimes the lyrics are a blessing, in pop music, most of the time, it's a curse (yet another reason to why I don't listen to pop music. In fact, Christmas music is probably the only American music I listen to). And now, an excerpt from the lyrically most beautiful, and melodiously the most powerful piece...




Ding, dong, ding, dong
That is their song
With joyful ring
All caroling
One seems to hear
Words of good cheer
From everywhere
Filling the air


2. Pentatonix is quite popular-- and yes, I am one of those people who thinks that A Capella makes everything sound better. No, I don't live for their remixes of (in my mind) infamous pop songs. But I do live for their arrangement of the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy. It blows my mind. 


You enjoyed it, didn't you?


3. Even though I am a fan of Pentatonix, their enunciation in the Little Drummer Boy arrangement makes it seem as though it were a pop song-- but let me tell you right now, it's not. (And although I'm not Christian, it kind of breaks my heart a little to see the sound of a traditional piece be manipulated into a pop song). Little Drummer Boy is a carol that proves that simple music can be powerful, which is why I love it.

4. Benedictus-- not really famous. Well, actually, not famous at all. Frequently sung at church, but utterly beautiful. I stumbled across this piece while given the opportunity to  sing it at our school A Capella group. (Don't try to search it up, it doesn't really work).

5. Don't even get me started on Silent Night. I could go on and on about how amazing it is, and how it moves me, but all I'm going to say is this: if you haven't heard it, click here. And if you have, listen to it while studying for mid-terms or on repeat while relaxing afterwards. It works.

6. Favorite Things. Isn't this a classic? Just the lyrics makes me want to deck my halls until I can't see the wall anymore, and bake cookies until I run out of flour.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woollen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things.




          little drummer boy
               benedictus
                    silent night
                         favorite things
                              a friend's post on writing & other christmas recommendations

i wasn't able to find benedictus, sorry :`(

2 comments:

Comments make me smile. :) Leave your link if you'd like, lovely x